If you have problems with squirrels digging up your newly planted spring bulbs, you can try one of the following deterrents:
- When buying bulbs, choose ones that are less appealing to these small rodents – good options are alliums, daffodils, grape hyacinths and scilla.
- Place a metal screen over top of the bulbs before covering them with soil.
- Spread human, dog or cat hair on the soil as a repellent, replacing it regularly.
- Sprinkle the soil with chicken-manure-based fertilizer (following the instructions on the label). Squirrels don’t like its smell.
- Install a motion-detector sprinkler.